Systems Workshop and
Solar Photovoltaic Systems Workshop
and Certification Program
The Center of Excellence for Energy will be hosting Govindasamy (Mani) TamizhMani, PhD, the director of the Photovoltaic Reliability Laboratory at Arizona State University. Dr. Mani has more than 40+ years of experience in research, testing, certification and teaching experience in solar photovoltaics (PV), batteries and fuel cells, and has published 200+ papers. His current research focuses on the reliability, durability and lifetime prediction of PV modules using indoor accelerated test data and outdoor field test data. He will be conducting the following workshops and certification courses at Ain Shams University in Cairo.
Solar PV Workshop: December 12, 2023 from 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. at Ain Shams University
Open to faculty and students from Ain Shams, Mansoura, and Aswan universities as well as energy industry and other stakeholders. Topics include:
- PV System Performance
- Overview of PV market, systems, and module technologies
- Influence of irradiance, temperature, and spectrum
- Influence of tilt angle, tracking, and soiling
- PV System Levelized Cost of Energy (LCOE)
- LCOE: Conventional versus renewables
- Capital Cost: Conventional versus renewables
- PV System Reliability
- Inverter reliability
- Module reliability
- Failure/degradation modes
- Testing tools to detect modes and measure degradation rates
- Lifetime prediction
- Influence of manufacturing quality on reliability
- PV Module Environmental Issues
- Estimated waste volume: 2014 vs. 2050
- Waste management regulations: Recycling vs. Landfill
- Testing methods: Pass or Fail
Register by November 28, 2023 to be eligible for free transportation assistance provided by COE/E.
PV Reliability and Testing Certification: December 13, 2023 from 9:30 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. at Ain Shams University
Targeted certification for engineers, researchers, faculty, and graduate students with expertise in PV systems. Application required. The course will cover:
- Testing standards for all components of a PV system
- Testing standards for PV modules
- Qualification testing per IEC 61215 and IEC 62108
- Safety testing per IEC 61730
- Accreditation requirements: Certification bodies and manufacturers
- Product certification stages: Testing, factory inspection, and certification
COE/E is offering a limited number of fee waivers—apply by November 28, 2023 to be eligible for free attendance.
If you have questions, please contact [email protected].
Dr. Govindasamy (Mani) TamizhMani
Director of Photovoltaic Reliability Laboratory
Ira A. Fulton Schools of Engineering
Arizona State University
Dr. Mani conducts research related to solar photovoltaics (PV), fuel cells and batteries. His current research focuses on the reliability, durability and lifetime prediction of PV modules using indoor accelerated test data and outdoor field test data. His PV testing laboratory (ASU Photovoltaic Testing Laboratory) became a spin-off company (called TUV Rheinland PTL) in 2008.TamizhMani was a member of various professional organizations including: IEEE, ASTM, IEC, ECS and PMC.